Wednesday 3 June 2015

Week 2 at the Naari Dairy Group - June 2, 2015 by Emily Egan



By Emily Egan - AVC vet student

So much happens here every day that I could type for hours and still have more to talk about! Maybe I’ll just give a little overview of some of the highlights of the things I’ve seen and done here in Kenya so far.

I think the most incredible part of my trip so far has been the amazing people I’ve met. Everyone here is so kind and thoughtful, generous and caring. Farmers with very little to live on somehow manage to offer us tea and snacks when we visit their homes. Geoffrey, the chairman of Naari Dairy, and Jennifer, our ‘Kenyan mother’ are both wonderful individuals who are trying their very best to make us feel at home and comfortable in this new environment. Even the people who I don’t meet but just see in passing are nice! Everyone here smiles at us and wants to shake our hands. The kids all run over to greet us and practice their English on us. Whenever we go out for walks we usually end up with a group of school kids following after us and asking “how are you?”. Kenyans really are incredible people, and I’m very grateful for this opportunity to interact with them.

During the week, the 5 of us drive to farms to ask the farmers a series of questions and examine and treat their cattle. Now, having lived in Canada all my life, I know that to most Canadians the term “driving” doesn’t imply much excitement. That’s where you’d be wrong. With John driving and a guide in the passenger seat, Joan, Dennis, Krista, and I sit in the back of the gypsy with our little traveling vet clinic and bounce and jostle and bump our heads and giggle all the way from farm to farm. Some of the roads are quite flat and even (but even then it was tricky because they drive on the opposite side of the road here), but most of the places that we took our poor truck were a cross between a footpath through a forest, and a dried out river bed. Generally I don’t think of sitting in a car as being much fun, but I can’t help laughing and smiling whenever we get into the gypsy.  And then we get to a farm and the fun continues! I’ve learned so much in the last few weeks, I don’t even know where to start… This has been an incredible experience both from a vet medicine standpoint and a cultural one. I’m gaining a new perspective on virtually everything as I interact with the people here and learn from them and the way they live, and I’ve also had a very steep but rewarding learning curve in bovine medicine. I’m learning to do very thorough physical exams, body condition scores, housing evaluations, venipuncture, and rectal exams to check for ovary status and pregnancy. Maybe that’s too much information for this blog, but it’s been a phenomenal experience for me. The last few weeks have really made me aware that this is truly what I want to do with my life.

On the weekends we more or less relax. John, Joan, and Dennis left for Nairobi yesterday morning, so Krista and I are here alone for the weekend. It was a very strange feeling having just the two of us in the house. It felt like we were little kids again whose parents had left for the first time. We decided to go shopping in Meru for a few hours, and on the way there we saw ELEPHANTS!!! It was awesome. There were 12 or 13 or more off to one side of the road so we stopped and got out and took a million photos of them and just stood there amazed that we are so lucky to be here and see these things! Eventually Charles convinced us to continue to town so we said goodbye but I couldn’t keep the smile off my face for the rest of the day!

Making supper was an adventure in itself as well! We would’ve just eaten sandwiches, but we’re supposed to feed the guards as well so we didn’t want to disappoint them! We successfully made rice and vegetable stew, but because I hate matches and Krista hates propane stoves it took us several tries to get started… Plus we didn’t really recognize many of the spices and seasonings so it was a bit of an experiment! But it was edible, if not delicious, so I think it went well. And then we watched the Lion King before bed.

Joan and Dennis should be back this evening, until then I’m going to relax and enjoy the beautiful sunshine, the tropical trees and flowers, and the bird songs and other unidentifiable noises! And then on Monday we’ll start all over again meeting new and wonderful people and learning new and wonderful things!

No comments:

Post a Comment